The church stands on land which was once part of a large estate, which was bought by Štefan Novak, grandfather of Anton Martin Slomšek, in the early 18th century. The Chapel of St. Oswald from the 15th century once stood on his land. He expanded it and equipped it in the Baroque style. His grandson Anton Slomšek used to shepherd his father's flock around the church. The stairs leading to the bell tower comprised his first pulpit, from which he recited the speech he had heard in Sunday's Holy Mass to other shepherds.
The building dates back to 1735 or 1736 and was renovated in 1856. The south-oriented church consists of a nave with a chapel, bell tower and a presbytery of the same width. The Baroque furnishings are mainly from the 19th century.