Churches and other sacred buildings

Parish Church of St. George in Šentjur and presbytery

Šentjur was first mentioned in association with the Parish Church of George in a document dating back to 1340. The present church was built on the site of an early Gothic church between 1708 and 1721.

Mary of Seven Sorrows Church in Botričnica

The church dominates the old town square of Šentjur and is located on the site of the original church of St. John Stone. The church received its present name in 1676, with the present-day building constructed in 1736 and consecrated seven years later. The bell tower on the southern part of the building ...

Parish Church of St. Martin in Ponikva

The church is situated on the eastern edge of the village of Ponikva. According to archives, there was originally a Romanesque church on this location. The present Baroque church was built between 1732 and 1758; it was consecrated two years later and belongs to the church type of Sladka Gora. The rectangular ...

Church of St. Anne in Prevorje

A church once stood in this location in the 15th century, which was burnt down by the Turks. The present-day building is situated on the same site of the earlier church and built in the early 19th century (1806-07). The bell tower was constructed in 1901 in the neo-Gothic style. The church’s equipment ...

Pilgrimage Church of St. Ursula in Vodule near Dramlje

The church was built between 1650 and 1660 in the Neo-Renaissance style and has a golden altar. Legend has it that it was built from the stones of the abandoned castle near Gradišče. It is an early-Baroque pilgrimage church. In the 19th century, a small chapel was added to the outer wall on the east of the ...

Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Laze pri Dramljah

The church represents a building with a typical late-Baroque structure, dating back to the mid-18th century. It has a central nave with a dome to the east, followed by a presbytery in the form of trefoils, a chapel with a cap-like dome and a sacristy. The large altar is a Baroque work from the mid-18th century, ...

Church of St. Giles in Dramlje

The church has a nave, a presbytery with an apse and a church bell on the northern side of the nave.  The eastern part of the church is medieval while the other parts were built in the 18th century. The furnishings are Baroque.

Church of St. Rosalie in Zlateče pri Šentjurju

This Baroque building from the 17th century was erected after the plague epidemic (1645) – at first the presbytery, and then the nave. Stones from the nearby Anderburg Castle were used for construction materials. The chapel of St. Anthony of Padua was added to the church in 1746. On the vault, there are ...

Church of St. Primus and Felicianus

The branch church is situated next to the former Roman road which led from Celje through Ponikva, Mestinje and Studenice to Ptuj.  It was first mentioned when Emperor Frederick III in the act of 16 March 1457 allowed a trade fair on the feast day of St.  Primus on 9 June. Later, a fair day was added on the feast ...

Church of St. Acacius in Stopče

The village Stopče is mentioned in sources for the first time on 22 June 1318. The church was most likely built in the second half of the 17th century. It consists of a nave, and a brick chapel, a presbytery with chamfered corners, a bell tower and sacristy in the south. The golden altar of St. Ana is from the ...

Plague Column in Kalobje

The Baroque era plague column from the middle of the 17th century is one of the oldest in our region. This column erected in the year 1646 is a memorial to the victims of the plague that killed about thousand inhabitants of this region. It has a columnar shape with bold bevelled corners and two niches with ...

Pilgrimage Church of the Virgin’s Name in Kalobje

The church consists of a rectangular nave, a three-sided presbytery with pillars, a storeyed sacristy and a bell tower. The church was built in 1579 (consecrated in 1621) in a style that indicates that it was built in the last stages of the Gothic period. The bell tower was added in the 17th century.  In ...

The church of St. Jacob in Žusem

The church of St. Jacob was built in the 14th century. The nave was built at the same time, with the vaults added to it and the presbytery built in the 15th century. At that time the church was also decorated. The frescoes were painted between 1450 and 1455 by a master painter from Žirovnica. The bell tower ...

The church of St. Leopold in Loka pri Žusmu

Leopold Fieglmuler built the little glassworks church of St.  Leopold in Loka pri Žusmu, which was consecrated in 1871. The church consists of a nave and a presbytery with two extensions. Above the façade, there is a little tower with a pyramidal roof. The church with its interior décor is a real glassworks ...

The church of St. Valentine in Žusem

The original church, first mentioned in 1545 once stood on the same site of today’s Baroque building from the 18th century (1714). The church consists of a bell tower from the 19th century (1894), a nave and a three-sided presbytery with a sacristy. The altars are from the 18th century, while the decorative ...

The church of St. Mary Magdalene in Slivnica pri Celju

The square nave has two adjacent chapels. The nave is followed by a three-sided presbytery and upper-floor sacristy (1870) in the east. On the north side of the presbytery, there is a prismatic bell tower, which is probably the oldest part of the church (16th century). The church was completely rebuilt ...

The church of Vitus in Šentvid pri Planini

The base of the church is Gothic and was first mentioned in 1414. Its present-day appearance and furnishings are mainly from the Baroque period. The bell tower bearing the year 1737 and the presbytery are also from that period. The chapel on the south and the sacristy were added in 1847. A large bell tower ...

Parish Church of St. Margaret in Planina pri Sevnici

The church is an example of the coexistence of architectural components from different time periods with a qualitative Baroque style. The nave and presbytery of the church are from the 15th century. The bell tower is from the first half of the 17th century. Around 1700, low chapels were added to the eastern ...

The church of Holy Cross and Chapels of the Stations of the Cross

The church of Holy Cross is located on the hill of the same name, south-east of the market town of Planina. It was first mentioned in 1414. The defence wall was presumably built at the time of the Turkish invasions. The present building was built at the beginning of the 18th century. The church is vaulted. ...

Plague Column in Marija Dobje

The 2.5 m high stone pillar with a square ground plan is typical of plague columns of those times. It has two pedestals, a capital decorated with whistles and a cymatium and a stone pyramidal roof with an iron cross at the top. On one side of the square column there is a relief of a cross with the year 1641 marked ...

Church of St. Oswald in Uniše near Ponikva

The church stands on land which was once part of a large estate, which was bought by Štefan Novak, grandfather of Anton Martin Slomšek, in the early 18th century. The Chapel of St. Oswald from the 15th century once stood on his land. He expanded it and equipped it in the Baroque style. His grandson Anton ...